Re: translation of "melle"

From: WINBROW@aol.com
Date: Wed Aug 30 1995 - 16:07:39 EDT

Ed Krentz wrote,
>It is possible that it comes from the verb EIMI that means "to >go" or "to
come," a word that in the 1st person singular is >identical in spelling and
pronunciation with the verb meaning >"I am." Its participle would also be the
same! The derivation >from the verb meaning "to go" sould suport the sense of
>coming or arrival (to come along side).<

This is true. And I wrote the section in the Morphology on EIMI with the
accent on EI, which means "to come/go" (ca. 10 years ago).
Thanks,
Carlton Winbery
Prof. NT & Greek
LA College, Pineville, LA