Re: SHMEION TOU UIOU ANQRWPOU

From: WINBROW@aol.com
Date: Wed Sep 13 1995 - 14:44:17 EDT

Carl Conrad wrote,
I don't see how the destruction of Jerusalem
>can be characterized by the phrasing "the Kingdom of God HAVING COME WITH
>POWER." This verse and 14:62 really seem to me to indicate that Mark the
>evangelist understood the gap between the destruction of Jerusalem and the
>full realization of God's Kingdom/Reign as short enough for some of those
>now alive (either in Jesus' hearing or at the time of Mark's redaction) to
>experience it as a fait accompli. Is there another way to understand this
>passage?

What I would say about 9:1 and 14:62 is that they should be read from the
perspective of what Mark wanted his readers to understand. 14:62 gives to
the readers the very confident statement of Jesus as he is at the mercy of
his enemies with his closest disciple outside cursing him. Mark seems not so
much concerned about exactly how this would be or was proven as he was
confident that his readers would already be convinced that Jesus was the
Kingdom of God present and would give to them the power in dire circumstances
to stand faithful (before Kings and rulers) and proclaim the gospel. 9:1
also concludes an episode when the readers would have seen failure on the
part of even Peter and the resultant teaching by Jesus that a disciple must
take up the cross and follow him. Ernst Best book that has the subtitle
"Discipleship in Mark" makes clear Mark's concern for true discipleship that
matched true messiahship. True Messiahship meant the Kingdom was present in
power, even to the extent that it could be given to the twelve over demons,
etc.
Carlton Winbery
LA College, Pineville, La (I don't have my signature on this computer.)