Re: SHMEION TOU UIOU ANQRWPOU

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 14 1995 - 07:34:15 EDT

Carlton Winbery wrote (Wed, 13 Sep 1995 14:00:57 -0400):

'"The Kingdom of God having come with Power" (9:1) and "This generation will
not pass away until all these things happen" 13:30 do not have to refer to
the same thing, but certainly would refer to things that Mark conceived were
close at hand. the reference in 9:1 refers to the realization by the
disciples beyond the cross of the true nature of the Kingdom. The
resurrection means that the Kingdom of God is present in a way that it cannot
be stoped by the threat od death. In 13:30 followed as it is by 31 is a
prophetic declaration that the fall of Jerusalem will surely happen and
cannot be stopped.'

Perhaps I am being stubborn, but I still find it difficult to square the
phrasing of the saying at Mark 9:1, in particular the perfect participle
ELHLUQUIAN and the phrase EN DUNAMEI with the coming of the disciples to
the inner conviction of the meaning of the resurrection (as I take it
that's what you mean by "the realization by the disciples beyond the cross
of the true nature of the Kingdom"). The phrasing seems to me to be too
concrete and powerful to refer to a spiritual anagnorisis. Moreover, it has
been preceded by some very strong apocalyptic warnings about implications
of failure to take discipleship fully seriously, in particular, 8:38:

        hOS GAR EAN EPAISXUNQHi ME KAI TOUS EMOUS LOGOUS EN THi GENEAi TAUTHi
        THi MOIXALIDI KAI hAMARTWLWi, KAI hO hUIOS TOU ANQRWPOU EPAISXUNQH-
        SETAI AUTON, hOTAN ELQHi EN THi DOXHi TOU PATROS AUTOU META TWN
        ANGGELWN TWN hAGIWN.

And that is the verse that immediately precedes the assertion that some
standing in the audience will not die before they see the Kingdom "having
arrived with power." I still don't see how the reference can be to anything
other than what we have traditionally called the Parousia, although I grant
that Mark doesn't use that Greek word.

Mind, I'm not saying that this is necessarily a Jesus-citation given by
Mark in its original form, but I think it expresses Mark's understanding of
the temporal framework within which he and the community for whom he writes
think of their evangelistic mission and the imminent consummation to which
it will lead.

Moreover, is the Pauline evidence that we rehearsed in the discussion with
Jan Haugland to be set aside? Not that Paul's evidence PROVES that Mark
anticipates an imminent Parousia, but rather that it certainly appears to
demonstrate an expectation on Paul's part of a return of Jesus within the
lives of the communities he founded.

(314) 935-4018