Re: SHMEION TOU UIOU ANQRWPOU

From: WINBROW@aol.com
Date: Thu Sep 14 1995 - 09:10:50 EDT

Carl Conrad wrote,
>I think it expresses Mark's understanding of the temporal framework within
which he and the community for whom he writes think of their evangelistic
mission and the imminent consummation to which it will lead.<
>Moreover, is the Pauline evidence that we rehearsed in the discussion with
Jan Haugland to be set aside? Not that Paul's evidence PROVES that Mark
anticipates an imminent Parousia, but rather that it certainly appears to
demonstrate an expectation on Paul's part of a return of Jesus within the
lives of the communities he founded.<

We agree that the bringing together of these statements express Mark's
understanding of the situation and present danger and needed response for his
readers. I am well aware that Paul certainly expected the PAROUSIA in his
life time, but Mark's concerns seem to me to suppose a different need, i.e.,
to separate disciples in Palestine (I can't make the location more specific
than that.) from the enterprize of seeking to defend Jerusalem of Israel from
the Romans. We know that there was some concern by the early disciples
concerning that. I think Luke reflects feelings by Jewish Christians in
Jerusalem by the question they asked the risen Lord, "Will you at this time
restore the Kingdom to Israel?' (Acts 1). The realization of the true nature
of the Kingdom was a difficult thing to accomplish among those who grew up
thinking that the first thing Messiah would do would be to free Jerusalem
from the Romans. This was not accomplished until Jerusalem was no more, but
perhaps (we all are guessing here) Mark realized it before the actual event.
 Paul still was in a hurry to get back to Jerusalem to celibrate Pentecost in
the temple just about ten years before Mark wrote.
I'm still working on this as you can see.
Carlton Winbery
La College, Pineville, LA