Re: Re- Teaching accents

From: James D. Ernest (ernest@mv.mv.com)
Date: Wed Sep 20 1995 - 10:34:18 EDT

On Wed, 20 Sep 1995, Carl W. Conrad wrote:

> While it is certainly true that the accents help to distinguish words that
> are spelled the same way, can anyone demonstrate any other value to
> teaching them or writing them?

Ritual/religious value. If Greek students aren't circumflexed
by the 8th session, do they really have any share in the
DIAQHKH? The pain may be acute, but skipping it is a grave
error.

But on CWC's other point: I can't imagine teaching pitch values
to students (or, let's be honest, bothering to learn them).

James D. Ernest Joint Doctoral Program
Manchester, New Hampshire, USA Andover-Newton/Boston College
Internet: ernest@mv.mv.com Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts