Re: PISTIS in Romans 1, yet

From: Mark O'Brien (Mark_O'Brien@dts.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 03 1995 - 12:27:14 EDT

Original message sent on Mon, Oct 2 2:38 AM by eweiss@acf.dhhs.gov (Eric Weiss)
:

> All I can say is that I would think that what Paul means by
> the "EK PISTEWS" part should probably be akin to what it means in
> Habbakuk 2:4 (in the Greek) ... which leaves EIS PISTEWS and what
> the whole phrase means still up for debate.

Interestingly, the word used in the Hebrew of Hab 2:4 is )EMW.NFH
(did I get that transliteration right?!?) which, although translated as
"faith" by most versions, is probably better translated as
"faithfulness". A word-study of all the occurences of this word
indicates that it is unlikely that it should be rendered as "faith", and
yet this is how the NT takes it on at least three occasions when
quoting this passage (Ro 1:17; Gal 3:11; Heb 10:38). One could argue
that the NT writers were using the LXX, but that has MOU modifying
PISTEWS (if my memory serves me correctly), which seems to imply
that the LXX folks took this faith to be *God's* faith in Hab 2:4, which
is not quite the way in which the NT is using the verse. All in all, it's
a curious point to be pondered.

Mark O'Brien