Re: 1 Cor. 1:5-7

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 11 1995 - 15:34:01 EDT

At 12:19 PM 10/11/95, David Moore wrote:
>Carl,
>
> I put my recent post on 1Cor. 1:5-7 through a search engine to see
>if it contained a mention of tongues but couldn't find the word; GLOSS*
>turned up empty as well. Part of the problem in dealing with the biblical
>data on spiritual gifts is that some of the gifts elicit emotional
>reactions which can disrupt real dialogue.
>
> My comments on this passage reflect (I think) my belief that Paul
>sees the spiritual gifts as ideally functioning in harmonious concert for
>the purpose of edifying the body of Christ. Although they were not so
>functioning in Corinth when Paul wrote 1Corinthians, he appears to take as
>a hopeful sign that they were at least functioning in some capacity.

David, my sincere apologies if I misled anyone in focusing my response to
your post on 1 Cor 1:5-7 on glossolalia, although my intent was to say that
it did seem to me that this passage right at the outset seems to refer to
so many of the problems that the letter involves it with so much. I think
that I was still responding at that point to your earlier post, with the