Re: 1 Cor. 1:5-7

From: Bruce Terry (terry@bible.acu.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 12 1995 - 15:05:55 EDT

On Wed, 11 Oct 1995, Carl W. Conrad wrote:

>Bruce, we had a little thread back during the summer, I think, on the
>difference between KAINOS and NEOS. KAINOS means newly-created,
>newly-invented, unprecedented. I don't think that tongues new only to the
>speaker would count as KAINAI.

Carl, your post sent me to Trench (p. 206), where I find something similar:

"In like manner the phrase KAINAI GLWSSAI (Mark xvi.17) does not suggest the
recent commencement of this miraculous speaking with tongues, but *the
unlikeness of these tongues to any that went before* [emphasis mine--bt];
therefore called hETERAI GLWSSAI elsewhere (Acts ii.4), tongues unwonted and
different from any hitherto known.

Trench seems to agree with you as to the significance of KAINOS, but then to
say that these tongues were the same as on the day of Pentecost.

Bruce Terry E-MAIL: terry@bible.acu.edu
Box 8426, ACU Station Phone: 915/674-3759
Abilene, Texas 79699 Fax: 915/674-3769