Re: Standardized Transliteration

From: Edgar M. Krentz (emkrentz@mcs.com)
Date: Mon Dec 04 1995 - 17:05:37 EST

It's always great to get in contact with a former student; so greetings,
David. You commented about transliteration.

>I find the lower case transliteration easier to read. I expect practice and
>familiarity make the difference in preference and I may learn to appreciate the
>upper case approach, but when I see longer quotations (more than a word or two)
>in the upper case transliteration I skip and hope I can figure out what the
>writer is talking about by reading the comments.

I agree with Carl on this one. I was most used to the transliteration
scheme adopted by the JBL and CBQ before the advent of computer generated
texts. So I was used to one transliteration scheme. In comparitive
linguistics I had to use the international code to represent oral sounds, a
very different schema.

I support Carl for two reasons. The scheme proposed, using captial Latin
alphabet letters makes breathing marks very clear. If you read the
positings for two weeks and decipher all the transliterations, the scheme
will be easy. I like it that it makes the Greek stand out, much like the
use of an uncial font for OT c itations did in the Westcott-Hort Greek
Testament that was the first I used. I complained as a college student that
it was hard to read (I had naturally been taught the cursive font used in
most texts.). After transcribing some unicial manuscripts as a grad
student, etc. I now read the uncials about as rapidly as the cursives. I
think the gains support Carl's view.

And when did you move south?

Cordially, Ed Krentz

Edgar Krentz, New Testament