Omnipotence

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net)
Date: Thu Dec 07 1995 - 11:51:11 EST

Eric Vaughan wrote;

>Anyone who doesn't believe in the inerrancy of the scriptures DOESN'T believe
>in Christ, or God for that matter. Part of believing in Christ, is believing
>his divinity, which includes the characteristic of omnipotence. How could an
>omnipotent being fail at anything, including giving us a nonerrant scripture?
>I think you may be confused on what it may mean to believe in Christ.

I just must comment on this even tho we are way off base here. I am a
believer in the Chalcedonian statement about Christ, but I don't think I
have heard anyone talk of the omnipotence of Christ. We normally talk of
God according to his attributes of omniscience, omnipresence, and
omnipotence. But Mark said that Jesus could not do a mighty work in
Nazareth because of their unbelief. Lazarus died because Jesus was not
there. And Jesus himself said that neither he nor the angels in heaven
knew when the parousia. Can you believe in the divinity of Christ and
still confess his humanity? If you can, then I would say that you are a
New Testament Christian.

Calton L. Winbery
Prof. Religion
LA College, Pineville, La