Re > Textus Receptus

From: Karen Pitts (karen_pitts@maca.sarnoff.com)
Date: Thu Dec 07 1995 - 21:44:20 EST

Re > Textus Receptus 12/8/95 10:37 AM

On 12/8/95 Ellen Adams wrote

>"I am reminded of one of the Constitution of the United States, most
>fundamental provisions "separation of church and state", which is
>universally accepted and applied in our legal system, and which,
>unfortunately, has been most succesful in restricting our religious
>freedom.

Ellen:

Your example may be more apropos than you thought, since the Constitution
(actually the first Amendment in the Bill of Rights) merely says that
"Congress shall enact no law regarding the establishment of religion nor
prohibiting the free exercise thereof" (or close to that wording: source is my
husband, whose interest in the Constitution is akin to my interest in Biblical
Greek). Jefferson wrote the famous words "wall of separation of church and
state" in a letter. It is a sign of the poor general education of our times
that most Congressmen don't even know what the Constitution says, since they
quote the "wall of separation" all the time.

Peace.

Karen Pitts
Hopewell Presbyterian Church, Hopewell, NJ, teacher of NT Greek
David Sarnoff Research Center, Princeton, NJ, statistician
kpitts@sarnoff.com