Acts 15:18

From: Mike Adams (mikadams@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Dec 07 1995 - 12:17:54 EST

Curiousity has gotten the better of me. Since no one has brought up this
topic recently, I'll ask:

For years I have wondered about the numerous variations for Acts 15:18,
but really didn't know where to turn to for information. I did purchase
Metzger's "Text of the N.T", (only such book in stock at the time),
which I've found awfully interesting, but which sheds very little light
on this particular passage.

I kind of like "tauta gnwsta ap'aiwnos"...sweet and simple, but there are
so many other options, all the way to "tauta panta. gnwsta ap'aiwnos
estin tw Qew panta ta erga autou." What a mouthful! And it makes quite
a shift in the conclusion of this entire discourse. Surely, this is not
just another example of sleepy-scribe syndrome. There seems to have been
a little tampering somewhere by someone. Has anyone a clue who did what?
Any insight as to why?

If you have any references for me, I'll trot on down to the library and
look them up. If you've any comments or insights, I would certainly
appreciate them as well.

Thanks in advance,

Ellen Adams