Re: Acts 15:18

From: Edgar M. Krentz (emkrentz@mcs.com)
Date: Fri Dec 08 1995 - 13:20:40 EST

>For years I have wondered about the numerous variations for Acts 15:18,
>but really didn't know where to turn to for information. I did purchase
>Metzger's "Text of the N.T", (only such book in stock at the time),
>which I've found awfully interesting, but which sheds very little light
>on this particular passage.
>
>I kind of like "tauta gnwsta ap'aiwnos"...sweet and simple, but there are
>so many other options, all the way to "tauta panta. gnwsta ap'aiwnos
>estin tw Qew panta ta erga autou." What a mouthful! And it makes quite
>a shift in the conclusion of this entire discourse. Surely, this is not
>just another example of sleepy-scribe syndrome. There seems to have been
>a little tampering somewhere by someone. Has anyone a clue who did what?
>Any insight as to why?
>
>If you have any references for me, I'll trot on down to the library and
>look them up. If you've any comments or insights, I would certainly
>appreciate them as well.
>
>Ellen Adams

Complicated issue. Let me suggest two places you might want to read [all short]:

F. F. Bruce, _The Acts of the Apostles_ (3rd ed. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans,
1990) 341:He suggests the longer versin may byk a "lectionary type clausula
for a biblical quotation."

F. J. Foakes Jackson and Kirsopp Lake,edd. _The Acts of the Apostles_
(Reprint by Baker Book Hoiuse, 1979) vol III, p. 144 [by James Hardy
Ropes].

Few scholars would accept the longer text as the original.

Edgar Krentz, New Testament
Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago
Tel.: 312-256-0752; (H) 312-947-8105