1 Timothy 2:12 possible use of "or" as "that is"

From: David John Marotta (djm5g@virginia.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 07 1995 - 14:10:10 EST

I would like to ask a question and circumscribed the ensuing discussion.
This is a dangerous thing to ask, but as list keeper I am intitled to
take certain liberties (don't the rest of you try this).

WITHOUT getting into all of the debate associated with 1 Timothy 2:12,
one possible understanding of Paul's use of "or" in the passage
is, "I do not allow a woman to teach THAT IS to have authority over men."
as opposed to it being a logical or, "I do not allow a woman to teach.
I do not allow a woman to have authority over men."

I would like to ask the question, "Are there clear examples (Biblical
perferred) of "or" being used to further clarify what was meant where
it doesn't make sense to take it as a logical or."

Copy both me and the list if you have examples. Thanks!

David John Marotta, Medical Center Computing, Stacey Hall
Univ of Virginia (804) 982-3718 wrk INTERNET: djm5g@virginia.edu
Box 512 Med Cntr (804) 924-5261 msg PRODIGY: KCMR45A
C'ville VA 22908 (804) 296-7209 fax IBM US: usuvarg8