Re: Periphrastic

From: Richard Lindeman (richlind@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Mon Dec 11 1995 - 19:51:50 EST

You wrote:

>I wish you'd offer us some examples of what you mean. I assume that you are
>going beyond the conventional distinction of three kinds of participial
>usage as:
> (1) adverbial: POREUOMENOI TAUTA DIELOGOUMEQA, "As we traveled, we
> discussed these things."
> (2) adjectival: TWi FILWi TWi SUN EMOI POREUOMENWi TAUTA EIPON, "I
> told these things to my friend who was walking with me."
> (3) nominal: TWi POREUOMENWi TAUTA DIHGHSAMHN, "I explained these
> things to the traveler."
>
>I'm wondering if you are referring to the usage (which I would not
>characterize as periphrastic) of a noun/pronoun + participle as normal
>indirect discourse with a verb of perception:
>
> OIDA SE TAUTA PEPOIHKOTA, "I know that you have done these things."
> HKOUSA SOU SOFOU ONTOS, "I heard that you were clever." (more
idioma-
> tically, HKOUSA SOU hWS SOFOS HSQA)
> KATA PANTA hWS DEISIDAIMONSTEROUS hUMAS [scil. ONTAS] QEWRW (Acts
> 17:22), "I see that in every way you are especially
reverent"

>If it is something DIFFERENT from these usages, give us some examples.

OK... so you want actual examples? Well, if I must! :-)

Perhaps I am off the wall on this, but that certainly
wouldn't be the first time. What I am suggesting is that
the participle, when standing adverbially on the right side
of the verb that it modifies, seems often to be more verbal
than adverbial... and that the opposite is true when the
participle stands on the left side of the verb.

When the participle stands on the right - there are times when
I seem to hear an unspoken "eimi" behind the transitive verb
that the participle is modifying. I am not suggesting that this
is an actual case of elipse. Nor am I suggesting that
this is a true periphrastic at all. But rather that when
translated this participle has essentially the same force
as a periphrastic.

Luke 13:22 DIEPOREUETO KATA POLIS KAI KWMAS DIDASKWN KAI POREIAN
POIOUMENOS EIS IEROUSOLUMA.

Luke 11:25 KAI ELQON EURISKEI SESARWMENON KAI KEKOSMHMENON

Luke 8:1 DIWDEUEN KATA POLIN KAI KWMHN KHRUSSWN KAI EUAGGELIZOMENOS
THN BASILEIAN TOU QEOU

Luke 18:43 HKOLOUQEI AUTW DOXAZWN TON QEON

Luke 2:12 EURHSETE BREFOS ESPARGANWMENON KAI KEIMENON EN FATNH

Rich Lindeman

           ISOC - International Society of Online Christians
                "Meeting the future boldly with Christ"
RichardLindeman@xc.org 2155 Northdale Blvd NW - Coon Rapids, MN 55433