Re: English grammar help

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 14 1995 - 07:02:27 EST

At 10:25 PM 12/13/95, James D. Ernest wrote:
>I beg the indulgence of list members for a question of English grammar.
>Which is correct (grammatically):
>
>A: The Son of Man is the Messiah whom Jesus claims to be.
> ^^^^
>B: The Son of Man is the Messiah who Jesus claims to be.
> ^^^
>Analogously:
>
>A: Jesus claims to be him.
> ^^^
>B; Jesus claims to be he.
> ^^
>
>We would say:
> He thought himself to be the Messiah (objective case).
> ^^^^^^^
>...but this is different, is it not, because there is no direct
>object in my examples. I'm sure I could have figured this out
>when I was in seventh grade, but now I find myself at a loss.
>If pressed: I vote for the nominative.
>
>I suppose an off-list reply would be more appropriate.

Perhaps it would, but (1) this is a pet peeve of mine,and (2) as the list
appears to be bombarded by posts that I mailed out more than a week ago (is
it the eve of Saturnalia?), I'll chime in here.

I too vote for the nominative in the above instances, but I hear in ever
greater frequency the nominative used where it shouldn't, according to the
old-timey rules: "This is the very best thing for HE AND I" and the like.

(314) 935-4018