English grammar help

From: James D. Ernest (ernest@mv.mv.com)
Date: Wed Dec 13 1995 - 23:25:23 EST

I beg the indulgence of list members for a question of English grammar.
Which is correct (grammatically):

A: The Son of Man is the Messiah whom Jesus claims to be.
                                  ^^^^
B: The Son of Man is the Messiah who Jesus claims to be.
                                  ^^^
Analogously:

A: Jesus claims to be him.
                       ^^^
B; Jesus claims to be he.
                       ^^

We would say:
    He thought himself to be the Messiah (objective case).
               ^^^^^^^
...but this is different, is it not, because there is no direct
object in my examples. I'm sure I could have figured this out
when I was in seventh grade, but now I find myself at a loss.
If pressed: I vote for the nominative.

I suppose an off-list reply would be more appropriate.
James D. Ernest Joint Doctoral Program
Manchester, New Hampshire, USA Andover-Newton/Boston College
Internet: ernest@mv.mv.com Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts