Re: squirrels in the attic (fwd)

From: James D. Ernest (ernest@mv.mv.com)
Date: Mon Dec 18 1995 - 23:22:12 EST

I'm sure someone out there is gearing up at the very moment to
admonish the good Rev. Dr. Dixon about the atopicality of this
notice of his intent to try to off those helpless squirrels, so
I thought I had better pre-emptively jump to his defense by
noting that his problem reminds me of an "amusing anecdote" I once
heard about the omnibeloved Dr. Metzger, and of course anything
pertaining to Professor Metzger should be fair game for this list.
Seems someone was once walking down a sidewalk in Princeton with
Prof. M., perhaps chatting about some text-critical issue, when
suddenly and quite unexpectedly a squirrel dropped from a tree
and landed evidently dead on the sidewalk right in front of them.
The twosome halted, momentarily nonplussed by the fate of their
furry visitant. The junior member of this twosome, observing a
very thoughtful expression on Prof. M.'s face, waited for him to
break the silence and provide a way forward after this world-
shattering experience; which he did with the words: "I believe
I know the Greek word for squirrel."

James D. Ernest Joint Doctoral Program
Manchester, New Hampshire, USA Andover-Newton/Boston College
Internet: ernest@mv.mv.com Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts