1 Peter 1:2

From: rick@logos.com
Date: Fri Dec 15 1995 - 04:16:20 EST

A friend and I are starting a study on 1 Peter. I ran into the following in
verse 2:

kata prognwsin theou patros, which, I promptly (which is amazing in itself)
translated to, "according to the foreknowledge of God the Father"

When I looked up prognwsis in BAGD, the same phrase was translated as,
"according to the predestination of God the Father" and I was confused.

After all, doesn't prognwsis come from the prefix pro and the root gnwsis
and mean "to know before"? I see a definate difference between the english
word "foreknowledge" and the english word "predestination." Without getting
into a major eschatological debate, could anyone tell me if there is
anything in the context that leads one to translate this phrase as
"according to the predestination of God the Father"?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Rick Brannan
rick@logos.com