Vritical Questions in Johannine Literature

From: Kenneth Litwak (kenneth@sybase.com)
Date: Tue Jan 09 1996 - 02:10:55 EST

  I know this question wil be off-topic, but I tried it on JOHNLITR to no avail.
It seems posters on that list are mainly interested in flaming Jehovah's
Witnesses and each other. Anyway, I'd would appreciate input on general info
and especially bibliography, on two related questions which I need to
resolve for my doctoral program:
1. What are the key, scholarly issues in Johannine literature? I assume
the addition of John 21 and the make-up of the community are issues, but
I don't know what else are commonly recognized as the main issues or questions.
2. What is the current state of Johannine studies? That is, what are the
dominant positions currently, what are the current topics of interest beyond
#1 and who is a must read for the current state of things?
I'm looking for info past what I might get from reading the Anchor Bible
Dictionary or Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels. Those are starting places
for me, but not sufficient. If anyhone is really interested, I can give you
more gackground about what I'm looking for and why privately. You can reply
to my privately or publicly if you think others would be interested. Thanks
much in advance.

Ken Litwak
GTU
Bezerkley, CA