RE:Translating

From: Will Wagers (wagers@computek.net)
Date: Mon Jan 08 1996 - 23:45:45 EST

Charles Bradley writes:

>I did not mean to imply a tension between faith and reason or rationality in
>posting the verses from Hebrews. "...the term faith is restricted to the
>assent
>to those truths which rest upon the direct testimony of God alone, objectively
>revealed in the Scriptures, as discerned through spiritual illumination.."
>[.A.A. Hodge].

This is a very convoluted sense of "direct". Normally, direct testimony would be
from the hand or mouth of the individual, not as told to or as discerned by so-
and-so, which is called hearsay.

And, I would say that there had better be a tension: it is the only way to
maintain an equilibrium.

Regards,

Will