Re: Peter/Cephas

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net)
Date: Wed Jan 10 1996 - 05:29:29 EST

>I came across Greg Doudna's (gdoudna@ednet1.osl.or.gov)
>December 1994 posting on "Cephas" on the B-Greek archives but
>could not find the postings he responded to or any further
>comments on this subject. Did any further developments or
>conversations occur? (This apparently is no longer a valid
>e-mail address for Greg, so I can't write him direct.)
>
>As I was reading through Galatians I noticed this striking shift
>of Paul's between "Cephas" and "Peter" and began to have similar
>(heretical? disturbing?) thoughts, but I haven't been able to
>find any good answers.
>
>While reading Eusebius' HISTORY OF THE CHURCH I found (I can't
>remember the reference) that in their efforts to determine who
>some of the other apostles were (the 70, etc.), at least one
>person or church father Eusebius references said the "Cephas"
>Paul mentions in Galatians was one of these other apostles. This
>could support the idea that the early church did not equate Peter
>with Cephas.

Bart Ehrman wrote an article recently concerning this question specifically
the identity of Cephas in Galatians. I can't at the moment where or when
it was published. I am not in my office so that I can check it. Bart, I
think, is still on this list.

Carlton L. Winbery
Prof. Religion
LA College, Pineville, La