Peter/Cephas

From: Eric Weiss (eweiss@acf.dhhs.gov)
Date: Wed Jan 10 1996 - 14:17:30 EST

I came across Greg Doudna's (gdoudna@ednet1.osl.or.gov)
December 1994 posting on "Cephas" on the B-Greek archives but
could not find the postings he responded to or any further
comments on this subject. Did any further developments or
conversations occur? (This apparently is no longer a valid
e-mail address for Greg, so I can't write him direct.)

As I was reading through Galatians I noticed this striking shift
of Paul's between "Cephas" and "Peter" and began to have similar
(heretical? disturbing?) thoughts, but I haven't been able to
find any good answers.

While reading Eusebius' HISTORY OF THE CHURCH I found (I can't
remember the reference) that in their efforts to determine who
some of the other apostles were (the 70, etc.), at least one
person or church father Eusebius references said the "Cephas"
Paul mentions in Galatians was one of these other apostles. This
could support the idea that the early church did not equate Peter
with Cephas.

Again, were there any further developments or background
information on this issue?

Thanks for any response you can give me. (I'm not currently on
the b-greek list, so please cc: any responses to me directly.)

Eric Weiss
eweiss@acf.dhhs.gov