Corrected version of post on LXX/lexicons

From: Edward Hobbs (EHOBBS@wellesley.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 11 1996 - 17:16:45 EST

CORRECTED COPY --SORRY FOR MESSY PREVIOUS POST!

Ken Litwak asks about which LSJ to use for preparing LXX. My answer is
similar to Carl Conrad's, but with a twist. First, the "Abridged" and
"Intermediate" L&S lexicons are well over a century old, as Carl says.
And they are virtually useless for LXX.
        But the pre-1940 Liddell-Scott is L&S, NOT LSJ -- Jones was first and
main editor of the revision (9th, "New Edition"), finished by McKenzie,
who was Jones's "assistant" editor and "saw...the work to its end", but
not published until after his death. (In fact, McKenzie died two years
before Jones did, and neither of them saw the final publication of the last
fascicles of the Lexicon.) What you have on order IS the 1940 "9th, New
Edition" with a NEW Supplement by Glare (replacing Barber's 1968 Supplement).
        For LXX purposes, however, I can tell you from years of experience
that the previous, 8th Edition, is more helpful. Not that you won't find
the words in the 9th; but there was deliberate abbreviation and culling done
for the 9th edition, to make room for other more important material, probably
on the ground that LXX is translated Greek. In any case, until LXX
lexicography catches up (I made posts on this about a year ago), you
MUST use an "unabridged" L&S, with a slight edge toward the 8th edition
rather than the otherwise-far-superior 9th.
        If you an borrow either 8th or 9th, Ken, do it; but DON'T use
EITHER the "Little Liddell" or the "Middle Liddell"!

Edward Hobbs