Re: Liddell and Scott

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 18 1996 - 14:05:42 EST

I sent this reply to Glenn Wooden out this morning, but it hasn't come
back, so I'm wondering whether it made it to the list at all. My apologies
if it did.

To: GLENN WOODEN <glenn.wooden@acadiau.ca>
From: cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu (Carl W. Conrad)
Subject: Re: Liddell and Scott
Cc: B-Greek@virginia.edu
Bcc:
At 5:03 AM 1/18/96, GLENN WOODEN wrote:
>I have heard that a new edition of Liddell and Scott is available, or
>soon to be available. Oxford Canada (at least the person with whom I
>spoke) knows nothing about it. Can anyone enlighten me on the
>accuracy of this report?

Others no doubt will also chime in, but the news is worth sharing. This is
"Ninth edition w/ revised supplement"--supplement edited by P.G.W. Glare,
slated for publication in March 96, to sell for $125.00 but discounted in
pre-publication offer to $100.00. ISBN: 864226-1. The supplement is also
available separately, also March 96, $65.00, discounted to $52.00 pre-pub.
ISBN: 864223-7.

You can call in an order at 1-800-451-7556 (9-5 EST). They may ask you for
a catalog code#, as this offer was meant, I believe, for members of
professional associations or on special mailing lists in Classics and
Religious Studies. You may be able to get by telling them that you've lost
the catalog.

As a sideline, I might note that I got my order in a couple weeks ago and
got in the mail two days ago a huge shrink-wrap mailer with a tiny little
"white sale catalog" of the Oxford Companion series, for the mailing of
which I was billed $2.50 on my credit card! It won't take many such
mailings to eat up the savings on the lexicon!

(314) 935-4018