ApFathers & LSJM--copy of reply

From: Edward Hobbs (EHOBBS@wellesley.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 24 1996 - 17:22:53 EST

From: LUCY::EHOBBS "Edward Hobbs" 24-JAN-1996 17:21:05.12
To: IN%"kenneth@sybase.com"
CC: EHOBBS
Subj: RE: AP in LSJM

Dear Ken:

"I have an important question (well, at least to me). It was my understanding
that LSJM explicitly does not contain the vocabulary for the Apostolic
Fathers because it is assumed that Lampe will take care of that. Can someone
confirm this for me?"

        NOT SO. LSJM was finished many years before Lampe, perhaps even
before Lampe's fascicles began appearing.

        I suspect that what you are remembering is a comment (maybe mine)
that Jones decided not to try for extensive citations in his LXX material
because it was not composed in Greek, hence not a real resource for Greek
style, syntax, and even vocabulary. I'm pretty sure it is complete even
for all LXX words, though.

"I was told I can use any system for identifying constucts I want to use, so at
least it won't be a problem when I use my current synthesis of Dana and Mantey,
Porter and Brooks and Winbery."

Good! I imagined that would be the case.

--Edward Hobbs