Re: ApFathers & LSJM--copy of reply

From: Bruce Terry (terry@bible.acu.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 24 1996 - 19:22:54 EST

On Wed, 24 Jan 1996, Edward Hobbs wrote in response to Ken Litwak:

>"I have an important question (well, at least to me). It was my understanding
>that LSJM explicitly does not contain the vocabulary for the Apostolic
>Fathers because it is assumed that Lampe will take care of that. Can someone
>confirm this for me?"
>
> NOT SO. LSJM was finished many years before Lampe, perhaps even
>before Lampe's fascicles began appearing.
>
> I suspect that what you are remembering is a comment (maybe mine)
>that Jones decided not to try for extensive citations in his LXX material
>because it was not composed in Greek, hence not a real resource for Greek
>style, syntax, and even vocabulary. I'm pretty sure it is complete even
>for all LXX words, though.

>From Jones' 1925 preface (to the first part of the 9th edition?):

"Liddell and Scott, though they originally intended their work to be a Lexicon
of Classical Greek, admitted a number of words from Ecclesiastical and
Byzantine writers, for many of which no reference was given except the symbols
'Eccl.' and 'Byz.' After due consideration it has been decided to exclude
both Patristic and Byzantine literature from the purview of the present
edition. . . . . There is, moreover, in preparation a Lexicon of Patristic
Greek (including Christian poetry and inscriptions) under the editorship of
Dr. Darwell Stone . . . . . . . it will hardly be denied that some time-limit
was called for, and this has been fixed roughly at A.D. 600 . . ." (pp. x-xi).

>From this, I would understand that the AF would be included, but later
Christian writers excluded.

Bruce Terry E-MAIL: terry@bible.acu.edu
Box 8426, ACU Station Phone: 915/674-3759
Abilene, Texas 79699 Fax: 915/674-3769