Deut 6

From: Kenneth Litwak (kenneth@sybase.com)
Date: Wed Jan 24 1996 - 22:56:26 EST

   I have a question or two from Dt. in the LXX. 6:11 says that the Israelites
will get things they did not work for. The verbs for them not working forthem
are generally Aorist, but the passage has a forward perspective "You didn't
dig the cistern, but you get to have it". This is followed by
KAI FAGWN KAI EMPLHSQEIS. These are Aorist participles, but they refer, I think,
to a future event, i.e., when you get the houses and vineyards and cisterns
and so forth, you will eat and be filled full. Howevver, that's not how I
learned to trasnlate participles. It would be more like "after having both eaten
and having been filled full". Is it common to understand Aorist participles as
future in reference?
    I also have a question about 6:15: MH ORGISQEIS QUMWQHi.
It seems necessary to take MH as hINA MH "in order that not", but I've never
run across MH with an implicit hINA in it. Also what about the translation?
"having become angry He may become angry at you?"?

   I noticed, BTW, that some words seemed to be "defined" by LSJM with the
KJV equivalent, like "round about"? Are they glossing a lot for the LXX or
really tgrying to give a "definition"?

   Thanks in advance.

Ken Litwak
GTU