Re: Greek fonts

From: Paul J. Bodin (pjbodin@sirius.com)
Date: Sun Jan 28 1996 - 20:50:37 EST

On Sun, 28 Jan 1996 10:12:47 -0600 you wrote:

>I need SMK Greek Keys or a SMK Greek font such as Attika or Sparta, so I
>can use Perseus on the Web. If these are freely distributable (I'm told
>that fonts are not copyrightable, although there appear to be differences
>of opinion), I would appreciate a copy. If not, perhaps someone has an
>extra set.

I don't know where you got your information, but electronic fonts are
definitely copyrightable and many of them are copyrighted. Programs
like Greek Keys are also copyrightable. Distribution of copyrighted
materials without permission is a criminal offense.

Perhaps some remember when one of Silver Mountain Software's fonts was
posted illegally to this list...

If your concern is using Perseus on the web, I seem to remember a
posting in the not-to-distant past that gave instructions for obtaining
and installing the needed fonts. Perhaps if you check the archive that
James Tauber maintains you will run across the instructions.

 Paul J. Bodin Internet: pjbodin@sirius.com
 Seminary Pastor smail: 1333 66th Street
 Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary Berkeley, CA 94702