Re: 1 Pet. 2:5

From: Constantine Stathopoulos (cstath@onned.gr)
Date: Mon Feb 05 1996 - 03:39:27 EST

>1 Pet. 2:5 has KAI\ AU0TOI\ W(S LI/QOI ZW=NTES OI0KODOMEI=SQE OI)=KOS
>PNEUMATIKO\S This is translated in the NIV as "you also, like living
>stones, are being built into a spiritual house", NRSV has "like living
>stones, let yourselves be built into a spiritual house". Similar
>translations are found in the RSV, KJV, and JB. Any discussion of this
>construction in several commentaries centers on the verb, passive vs.
>imperative sense.

Greetings!

This question has already been answered by the authorities in this mailing
list, but I hope that my message still contains some useful information.

OI)=KOS is a predicate nominative here. OI)KODOMW= belongs to a list of
verbs that in Greek are called verbs of progress. Syntactically OI)=KOS is
called an anticipatory predicate, because it denotes the result of the
action taken by the verb (e.g. O( OI)=KOS OI)KODOMEI=TAI ME/GAS, TO/ TOU=
FILI/PPOU O)/NOMA ME/GA HY)/JHTO). However, the anticipatory predicate
usually denotes an attribute that the subject will acquire at the end of the
action, thus being an adjective as in the above examples. The usual think to
say in Pet. 2:5 would be KAI\ AU)TOI\ W(S LI/QOI ZW=NTES OI)KODOMEI=SQE EI)S
OI)=KON PNEUMATIKO\N, as you have already noted. I believe that such an
example can be found somewhere in the Epistle to Ephesians.

Regards,

Constantine Stathopoulos,
Athens, Greece.
(cstath@onned.gr)