Ephesian 4:1-2

From: Northland Bible College (northlan@soonet.ca)
Date: Wed Feb 07 1996 - 10:31:30 EST

Greetings all:

First of all, THANKS for your encouraging replies to my query for help on
this list. Here goes:

This morning in class we were analyzing our way through Ephesians 4:1-2
with these resulting puzzlers:

[BTW, as I mentioned, we're using Dana and Mantey's A Manual Grammar of
the Gk NT as a text, and we've been classifying stuff on that basis,
recognizing that there is some diversity in the way others categorize
case forms etc. In the process, we have been noticing in particular,
that when nouns/adjectives/pronouns occur within prepositional phrases it
frequently becomes very difficult to find any category listed in D+M that
is appropriate. Further, it almost seems that the categories they list
are inadequate at times for the text under discussion. AND, of course, I
am fully aware that maybe the problem is just ME!

4:1) re `O DESMIOS: Since the principal verb is PARAKALO, 1st singular,
I took `O DESMIOS to be an independent nominative. But one of the
students took it as a predicate nom. My understanding of pred nom is
that some form of the stative verb must be either in the text or implied
(EIMI, GINOMAI ETC). Is this correct? Does not `O DESMIOS stand
essentially independent from the complete thought found in the verb, and
is supplied for additional detail?

4:1) re `HS: Clearly refers back to its antecedent THS KLHSEOS but how to
classify? Since the pronoun often is attracted to the case of its
antecedent (even though functioning in a different sense) should this be
taken as a genitive of reference (as KLHSEOS), or should `HS be
classified according to its sense, as a dative of reference, in relation
to EKLHThHTE?

4:2) re the three genitives following META: "with all humility and
meekness" clearly functions adverbially, describing HOW to "walk
worthily" in the first verse. Question: The only classification that
would make any sense would be to take all these genitives as adverbial
genitives - but D+M subclassify adverbial genitives only as (a) time (b)
place and (c) reference, NONE of which makes much sense. This is a fair
example of the difficulty encountered when trying to classify any nouns
in prepositional phrases.

4:2) re ALLHLON: This is a fixed form adjective isn't it? Fixed
apparently in the genitive plural. Would this be taken then as an
adverbial genitive of reference, explaining the sphere of reference of
the action of "enduring"?

Any comers?

God bless.

Steve Clock