Re: Ephesian 4:1-2

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net)
Date: Sat Feb 10 1996 - 01:53:48 EST

I am sending this post again. I forgot to put the b-greek address in.
Steve, I also corrected the last paragraph which was garbled. Grace, CLW

Steve Clock wrote;
>This morning in class we were analyzing our way through Ephesians 4:1-2
>with these resulting puzzlers:
>
>[BTW, as I mentioned, we're using Dana and Mantey's A Manual Grammar of
>the Gk NT as a text, and we've been classifying stuff on that basis,
>recognizing that there is some diversity in the way others categorize
>case forms etc. In the process, we have been noticing in particular,
>that when nouns/adjectives/pronouns occur within prepositional phrases it
>frequently becomes very difficult to find any category listed in D+M that
>is appropriate. Further, it almost seems that the categories they list
>are inadequate at times for the text under discussion. AND, of course, I
>am fully aware that maybe the problem is just ME!

You are right that Dana & Mantey do not treat substantives that are used
with prepositions, thus they have no categories for some functions which
are found in the NT only with prepositions. This is one improvement that
Brooks & Winbery made over Dana & Mantey. We also have (pp. 66-67) a
comprehensive list of prepositions with the categories with which they
appear in the NT. This makes it easy to find any function that occurs in
the NT with any preposition, IOHO.

>4:1) re `O DESMIOS: Since the principal verb is PARAKALO, 1st singular,
>I took `O DESMIOS to be an independent nominative. But one of the
>students took it as a predicate nom. My understanding of pred nom is
>that some form of the stative verb must be either in the text or implied
>(EIMI, GINOMAI ETC). Is this correct? Does not `O DESMIOS stand
>essentially independent from the complete thought found in the verb, and
>is supplied for additional detail?

I would call this a nominative used in apposition to the pronoun EGW (B&W, p.7).

>4:1) re `HS: Clearly refers back to its antecedent THS KLHSEOS but how to
>classify? Since the pronoun often is attracted to the case of its
>antecedent (even though functioning in a different sense) should this be
>taken as a genitive of reference (as KLHSEOS), or should `HS be
>classified according to its sense, as a dative of reference, in relation
>to EKLHThHTE?

My practice is simply to note that the pronoun is attracted to the case of
its antecedent. Its function is means, "by which."

>4:2) re the three genitives following META: "with all humility and
>meekness" clearly functions adverbially, describing HOW to "walk
>worthily" in the first verse. Question: The only classification that
>would make any sense would be to take all these genitives as adverbial
>genitives - but D+M subclassify adverbial genitives only as (a) time (b)
>place and (c) reference, NONE of which makes much sense. This is a fair
>example of the difficulty encountered when trying to classify any nouns
>in prepositional phrases.

The reason that this does not fit neatly into any D&M categories is because
they do not deal with functions found only with prepositions. B&W have a
category called, for lack of a better term, "Genitive of attendant
circumstances" found only with the preposition META. The description
reads,"A substantive in the genitive with META may indicate emotional
reactions or phenomena which accompany the action of the verb."

>4:2) re ALLHLWN: This is a fixed form adjective isn't it? Fixed
>apparently in the genitive plural. Would this be taken then as an
>adverbial genitive of reference, explaining the sphere of reference of
>the action of "enduring"?

Check L&S (I do not have mine at home) for ANEXOMAI. I think that it can
take its object in the genitive. Thus ALLHLWN would be a gen. of root idea
used with certain verbs. "Hold one another in love." (B&W p. 20). It has
no nominative form or singular forms. It does occur in the dative and
accusative plural in the NT and other Greek literature.
Grace,

Carlton L. Winbery
Prof. Religion
LA College, Pineville, La