Re: Ephesians 4:10

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net)
Date: Wed Feb 14 1996 - 08:18:24 EST

Steve Clock wrote;
>Before I ask another question, I'd just like to say thanks to those
>who've taken the time to tutor me on a few questions these past few
>weeks. Much appreciated. Another question (a bit tongue in cheek):
>What's a guy like me to do (besides enroll in a 6 year doctoral program
><:)> when 3 experts arrive at different interpretations of a syntactical
>question? Is classifying still such an evolving art?

I have read the response of others on this. I didn't think that there was
much difference in the way we have responded so far. However, where there
are grammarians there will be differences of opinion. I often tell my
students that studying language is like studying psychology. We are
dealing with the way people think. We would have to get inside Paul's head
to be sure what he was thinking.

>I've got another question, this time on Ephesians 4:10. We find
>Nominatives separated by ESTIN: HO KATABAS AUTOS and HO ANABAS.
>
>HO KATABAS as I understand it should be taken as the subject. AUTOS (in
>relation to HO KATABAS) is predicate, but the whole clause HO KATABAS
>AUTOS stands together as the subject of ESTIN. No?
>
>Would not then HO ANABAS following, be predicate in relation to the first
>clause? Problem: Both nominatives have the article. How to tell which
>is Subjective and which is Predicate?
>
>Even worse, I'd followed the rule (first yr Grk) that the Nominative with
>the article is "always" the subject when two nominatives are found with a
>stative verb. But just this morning, re-reading Dana and Mantey, they
>said this is only "usually" true, and that "sometimes" the subject
>nominative will LACK the article whereas the predicate can HAVE the article.

I would agree with those who have said that either HO KATABAS or HO ANABAS
could be the subject. AUTOS is used emphatically. I would prefer to
render it in English as "The one who descended himself is the one who
ascended."

Carlton L. Winbery
Prof. Religion
LA College, Pineville, La