Ephesians 4:10

From: Northland Bible College (northlan@soonet.ca)
Date: Wed Feb 14 1996 - 09:47:56 EST

Hi folks!

Before I ask another question, I'd just like to say thanks to those
who've taken the time to tutor me on a few questions these past few
weeks. Much appreciated. Another question (a bit tongue in cheek):
What's a guy like me to do (besides enroll in a 6 year doctoral program
<:)> when 3 experts arrive at different interpretations of a syntactical
question? Is classifying still such an evolving art?

No offense intended. Just wondering.

I've got another question, this time on Ephesians 4:10. We find
Nominatives separated by ESTIN: HO KATABAS AUTOS and HO ANABAS.

HO KATABAS as I understand it should be taken as the subject. AUTOS (in
relation to HO KATABAS) is predicate, but the whole clause HO KATABAS
AUTOS stands together as the subject of ESTIN. No?

Would not then HO ANABAS following, be predicate in relation to the first
clause? Problem: Both nominatives have the article. How to tell which
is Subjective and which is Predicate?

Even worse, I'd followed the rule (first yr Grk) that the Nominative with
the article is "always" the subject when two nominatives are found with a
stative verb. But just this morning, re-reading Dana and Mantey, they
said this is only "usually" true, and that "sometimes" the subject
nominative will LACK the article whereas the predicate can HAVE the article.

Can anybody clarify this seeming impasse?

Sincerely,

Steve Clock
Northlan@soonet.ca