Re: Jn 4:54

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net)
Date: Thu Feb 22 1996 - 12:08:54 EST

Mark O'Brien wrote;
>A brief question about this verse: Should TOUTO be considered as the subject
>("This was the second sign...", ala NIV, RSV, etc.), or is it in fact the
>object
>in an object complement construction, with hO IHSOUS as the subject ("Jesus did
>THIS as a second sign...")?
>
>The lack of a relative pronoun would seem to argue against the former option,
>since it seems unlikely that this would be ellided, and then one is stuck with
>trying to work out what to do with hO IHSOUS.

I would say that TOUTO is used as an adjective to modify DEUTERON SHMEION
so that it is "Again this second sign Jesus did having come from Judea into
Galilee." This is similar to John 21:14, "Now Jesus had appeared this
third time to his disciples after having been raised from the dead."
Sometimes hOUTOS modifies a noun without the article, especially when the
noun is also modified by an adjective. TOUTO DEUTERON SHMEION is the object
of the main verb.

Carlton L. Winbery
Prof. Religion
LA College, Pineville, La