funk's beginning grammar

From: perry.stepp@chrysalis.org
Date: Thu Mar 07 1996 - 11:50:57 EST

Hello, all.

Has anyone on the list used Funk's *Beginning/Intermediate Grammar of
Hellenistic Greek*? For a Ph.D. seminar, I recently compared several grammars.
 I concluded that, among the grammars I reviewed, Machen's was the best of
"traditional" grammars, whatever that means. But I was really at a loss when
perusing Funk's grammar. Many of the things Funk does make a great deal of
sense to me. So I'm wondering:

If you have taught students using Funk's grammar: how was it? how many
semesters have you used it? were students able to learn to read Greek using the
material *as* *Funk* *presents* *it*, or did you have to juggle the order,
supplement in any way, etc.? and how did the students do in more advanced Greek
studies?

If you were taught using Funk's grammar, besides the above: did you have much
trouble using more traditional materials (Robertson's big grammar, Moule's
*Idiom Book*, etc.)? do you feel that you have a greater facility with NT Greek
than you would have if taught with traditional methods? would you use Funk's
grammar to teach your own students?

Thanks for the help. Grace and peace,

Perry L. Stepp, Baylor University

        I'm addicted to placebos. I can quit any time I want to,
                but why?
                        --Steven Wright