Re: funk's beginning grammar

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 07 1996 - 13:14:36 EST

On 3/7/96, perry.stepp@chrysalis.org wrote:

> Hello, all.
>
> Has anyone on the list used Funk's *Beginning/Intermediate Grammar of
> Hellenistic Greek*? For a Ph.D. seminar, I recently compared several
>grammars.
> I concluded that, among the grammars I reviewed, Machen's was the best of
> "traditional" grammars, whatever that means. But I was really at a loss when
> perusing Funk's grammar. Many of the things Funk does make a great deal of
> sense to me. So I'm wondering:
>
> If you have taught students using Funk's grammar: how was it? how many
> semesters have you used it? were students able to learn to read Greek
>using the
> material *as* *Funk* *presents* *it*, or did you have to juggle the order,
> supplement in any way, etc.? and how did the students do in more advanced
>Greek
> studies?
>
> If you were taught using Funk's grammar, besides the above: did you have much
> trouble using more traditional materials (Robertson's big grammar, Moule's
> *Idiom Book*, etc.)? do you feel that you have a greater facility with NT
>Greek
> than you would have if taught with traditional methods? would you use Funk's
> grammar to teach your own students?

I am glad to see this question being addressed; I have mentioned this work
previously but heard nothing more about it on the list. I WOULD use this
book if it were in print and I were teaching Koine' more generally (here we
ask our undergraduates who want Koine' normally to do a year of Attic after
which I give them a tutorial in Koine'); I like its organization very much
indeed and I would be delighted if the replacement for BDF should be
organized with as rational an approach to the language's structure. There
may well be many who wish Funk were giving his attention to revising this
book rather than to the Jesus Seminar.

(314) 935-4018