Re: Remedial Question

From: chris@shop.internet.net
Date: Mon Mar 11 1996 - 09:39:27 EST

Chris Uzzi wrote;

>I have recently joined this mail list and have been lurking and observing
>all that comes and goes throught this list and figured I take a shot. I
>will be leading a small Bible study of 30-40 college students through
>Romans 7:14-25. I wish to to understand the contextual, as well as the
>relevant, use of SARKINOS (of root SARKON, I believe. sp?) in verse 14.
>Paul seems to compare this with the PNEUMATIKOS of the Law.
>
>Any comments?

SARKINOS and SARKIKOS are adjectives built on the noun SARX. They indicate
that what they describe is "of the flesh." Paul seems to indicate what
this means by adding PEPRAMENOS hUPO THN hAMARTIAN -- "effected by sin."
Contrast this with the Law as given by God -- of the Spirit - PNEUMATIKOS.

Carlton L. Winbery
Prof. Religion
LA College, Pineville, La
winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net
winbery@andria.lacollege.edu

Chris Uzzi
chris@internet.net
~ISN~
3475 Deer Creek Road
Palo Alto, California 94304
http://www.internet.net
(415) 846-7463 -- (415) 842-7415 fax
"God is dead" -Nietzsche
"No, I think you'll find it's Nietzsche who's dead" -God