Re: parables

From: James H. Vellenga (jhv0@viewlogic.com)
Date: Thu Apr 18 1996 - 10:50:20 EDT

I find myself wondering whether, if we used the phrase "sermon
illustrations" instead of "parables," we would be so concerned
about whether a particular "illustration" had one "point" or a
related series of "points". As I listen to our pastor, I suspect
he doesn't consciously think about whether his story has an
isolated point or illustrates a broader sweep of things.

On the other hand, I would not be tempted to find an analog for
every element of his story in the concept or set of principles
that he's trying to illustrate.

Regards,
j.v.

James H. Vellenga | jvellenga@viewlogic.com
Viewlogic Systems, Inc. __|__ 508-480-0881
293 Boston Post Road West | FAX: 508-480-0882
Marlboro, MA 01752-4615 |
http://www.viewlogic.com