RE: parables

From: Albert Collver, III (Collver@msn.com)
Date: Thu Apr 18 1996 - 17:00:25 EDT

James,
        I think using "sermon illustrations" for sermons is good. However, I would
not be in favor of calling Jesus' parables by the name "sermon illustrations."

        The word parable is interesting. It is roughly synonymous with the Hebrew
word Proverb. This gives a whole new force to Christologically interpreting
the Proverbs.
        You write that "I would not be tempted to find an analog for every element of
his story in the concept or set of principles that he's trying to illustrate."
This I would say is a wise practice. An illustration in a sermon made by the
pastor is not the same and does not carry the authority of God's Word.
        I am not arguing that every word and point in one of Jesus' parables has a
symbolic meaning. However, there certainly is more validity to seeking a more
in depth meaning in a parable of Christ than in a sermon illustration.
Al Collver
Vicar Luther Memorial Chapel