Re: Veils, women, angels, and Oster

From: Marty Brownfield (mbrownfield@vantek.net)
Date: Tue Apr 23 1996 - 00:18:19 EDT

Bruce Terry <terry@bible.acu.edu>, on 4/22/96 4:13 PM wrote::

>> In this article Dr. Oster provide numerous
>> documented evidence that the Greek custom of cultic worship (e.g. praying
>> or prophesying) in a pagan context was for the men to be bare-headed but
the
>> women to wear a covering.
>
> I have read the excellent article in question, but I fail to recall any such
> evidence of this nature. Surely I would have noticed it, since it
> contradicts
> one of the points I made in my dissertation, namely, that in Greek pagan
> religion, both men and women prayed bare-headed.

Oops! I hereby withdraw my foot from my mouth. My comment about the Greek
practise
is completely erroneous; in fact the Roman custom was for both sexes to have
their heads covered in worship while the Greek practise was for neither sex to
have
a covering. I apologize for my faulty memory (I rly on it far too often).

> For those interested in the evidence from the ancient world outlined in my
> dissertation, it is also found on pages 26-31 of my book:
>
> Terry, Ralph Bruce. 1995. _A Discourse Analysis of First Corinthians_.
> Dallas:
> Summer Institute of Linguistics and the University of Texas at
> Arlington.
>
>>It is true that the word for veil is not used in
>>this chapter, but the phrase "kata kephales" is an idiom for a head
>>covering in
>>Greek secular literature; Dr. Oster cites Plutarch and Josephus as
>>examples.
>
> Actually this phrase often refers to pulling one's cloak up over the head so
> that it hangs "down off the head" (cf. Plutarch _Moralia_, Sayings of
> Romans,
> Scipio the Younger, 13 [Loeb vol. III, pp. 190-191]).

Yes. In the article Dr. Oster brings this up to refute the view that since
"veil" is not used
that the "down off the head" phrase refers to a hairstyle.

Marty Brownfield
mbrownfield@vantek.net or mpbrownf@fedex.com
http://www.vantek.net/pages/mbrownfield