Finding the B-Greek exit

From: Tony Prete (tonyp@waterw.com)
Date: Fri May 03 1996 - 15:15:30 EDT

As a B-Greek lurker for some time now, I thought I'd reciprocate for all
I've learned through this forum by taking on a small but annoying problem:
the mis-guided "unsubscribe" posts. About a week ago, I prepared, then
cleared through list-owner David John Marotta, the following "boilerplate"
message.I think it maintains the spirit of those gentle folk who, in the
past, have responded to similar situation (Carl Conrad and Jill Gorman come
to mind, but they're not the only ones).
Starting a few days ago, then, whenever I find an "unsubscribe" among my
B-Greek postings, I zip this off to the sender. I did send one to our most
recent guest--though not before Jill--and when I saw that others had
subsequently done the same, I thought I should go public with what I'm
doing. Since I check my mail at least once a day, the scholars on the list
shouldn't have to do more than "trash" (Eudora's term, not mine) those
messages, resting assured that someone else has set the sender straight.
Think of it as a Mary/Martha thing.

Below is a copy of my message, which anyone who wants to can freely copy and
use.

>> Dear <name>
>>
>> To stop receiving the B-Greek postings, send your e-mail to:
>>
>> majordomo@virginia.edu
>>
>> That way, it will accomplish what you want without appearing--as you by now
>> have probably discovered, (perhaps to your dismay!)--in the mailboxes of
>> the hundreds of B-Greek participants subscribers.
>>
>> The message you send should be simply
>>
>> UNSCRIBE B-GREEK
>>

>> If you subscribe to the digest, then use
>>
>> UNSCRIBE B-GREEK DIGEST
>>
>> In either case, no need to add your e-mail address unless it's different
>> than the one you're writing from.
>>

>> The reason for adhering to the above stringent directions is that your
>> message will be read and processed by a computer. Unless it sees terms it
>> recognizes--nothing more, nothing less--it doesn't know what to do. (So who
>> sez they're all that smart?) In the unlikely event that you continue to get
>> postings anyway, you can contact David John Marotta at
>>
>> djm5g@virginia.edu
>>
>> With David, you're free to word your message however you wish.Unlike the
>> earlier addressee, he has the breathe of life breathed in him (Gen 2:7).
>>

>> Thanks for whatever time you spent with B-Greek. If you'd like an occasional
>> peek at what the forum is up to, you can aim your web-browser at
>>
>> http//www.entmp.org/cqi-bin/lwgate/B-GREEK/archives
>>

>> In with everything else, it contains your "unsubscribe" message that started
>> this whole process.
>>
>> Peace and strength,
>>
>> Tony Prete
>> Haddonfield, N.J