Re: Phallogocentrism

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Tue May 07 1996 - 10:50:39 EDT

At 8:23 AM -0500 5/7/96, Carlton L. Winbery wrote:
> I wonder if Shaughn and Carl would agree.
>
> It was Paul, a male (chauvinist to some), who wrote in Gal. 5:12, OFELON
> KAI APOKOYONTAI hOI ANASTATOUNTES hUMAS. Would you agree that APOKOYONTAI
> is reflexive middle (for want of better terminology).
>
> It seems we are getting in deeper and deeper.

I would agree in a flash! And while I wouldn't want to argue that middles
are reflexive in sense and only reflexive, I think there's something inside
an Indo-European verb that resists the will of its speakers who want to
turn it into a passive. Just look at the way classical Latin verbs so
readily pass into reflexives in the Romance languages!

(314) 935-4018