Re: Pocket Lexicon

From: Kevin W. Woodruff (cierpke@utc.campus.mci.net)
Date: Tue May 21 1996 - 15:36:40 EDT

Dear David:

Yes I've seen, used and own Souter's pocket lexicon and despite it's age,
it's still an amzing piece of work. A good (perhaps better) alternative is
_Shorter Lexicon of the Greek New Testament_ 2nd ed. by F. Wilbur Gingrich,
revised by Frederick W. Danker. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1983.
221 pages. ( 8 1/2" X 5 1/2" ) Although it's not as"pocket-sized" as Souter
(7" X 4 1/2")(290 pages), it is more up to date as Souter was done in 1916
whereas Gingrich is done in 1983. Also it is readily available and does not
have to be ordered special.

At 02:06 PM 5/21/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello All,
>
>I am a beginning Greek student and I travel frequently. Often I study while
>on my trips. I would like to find a small sized lexicon to take with me.
>While browsing through Amazon.com Books I came across a reference to:
>
> Pocket Lexicon to the Greek New Testament by Alexander Souter(Ed.).
>
>I have never seen it and I'm wondering if anyone would recommend this one and
>about what size it is. Also, any suggestions of alternatives to this book
>would be appreciated as it is a special order book and may not be available.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Dave Anderson

Kevin W. Woodruff
Reference Librarian