MENO in John 15

From: Noam & Joan Hendren (noamh@netmedia.co.il)
Date: Fri Jun 07 1996 - 03:46:17 EDT

D. Tinberg writes:
////////////
I am doing some study on the verb meno and find it interesting that
jesus uses the term in John 15:4. The context seems to dictate a verb
that can refer to a horticultural or agricultural process. My research
however, shows it refering to nautical experiences, traveling (by road)
experiences, referring to cities (as lasting) and living conditions (
dwelling), etc. Is there any agricultural process referred to by this
verb?
///////////

A recent article (in the last year or so) in Biliotheca Sacra dealt with
aspects of ancient viniculture and its contribution to the understanding of
the John 15 passage generally. I don't recall any reference to meno as n
agricultural term. You might check out a doctoral dissertation written by
James Rosscup at Dallas Theological Seminary on the subject of "abiding" in
John's writings. It must date from the late sixties or early seventies

Fruitful research to you!

Noam

Noam Hendren <noamh@netmedia.net.il>

"Read not to contradict and confute,
 nor to believe and take for granted,
 nor to find talk and discourse,
 but to weigh and consider."

                      Sir Francis Bacon
                         "Of Studies"

*Please note slight change of email address