Greek help on women's issues

From: John R. Baldwin (jrbaldw@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 06 1996 - 07:38:11 EDT

Sisters & Brothers on rm-Bible & b-Greek:

I told my minister I was on e-mail networks and he asked me this question (I am
an "information resource person"): He is re-evaluating Church of Christ
positions on interpretations of I Cor 14:26-40 and I Tim 2:11-15.

I COR 14:26-40.
The verb SIGAO, in the NIV, is translated "keep quiet" (v. 28) and "should stop
[speaking]" (v. 30). Finally, "should remain silent" (re: women, v. 34). What
we are wondering is if what the text is saying in v. 34 is that women should
cease speaking when there is an interpretation or prophecy or speaking in
tongues. That is, while the women may not have been the ones prophesying in
the public assembly in NT (Philip's daughters, I guess, would have prophecied
out of the public assembly), this does not mean they were not forbidden to
speak--just not when men were prophesying, speaking in tongues, etc. (Hmm...if
one does not believe in the continuance of those gifts today, does this verse
still apply?)

I TIM 2:11-15
Here the text says "A woman in quietness let her learn (in quietness: EN
HSUCHIA, v. 11, v. 12). Might this refer to women not teaching the specific
body of doctrine reserved for pastorals? I guess key to passage: what does
AUTHENTEIN mean? John Baldwin, Illinois State University jrbaldw@ilstu.edu