Re: Greek help on women's issues

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 06 1996 - 09:34:39 EDT

At 6:38 AM -0500 6/6/96, John R. Baldwin wrote:
> Sisters & Brothers on rm-Bible & b-Greek:
>
> I told my minister I was on e-mail networks and he asked me this question
>(I am
> an "information resource person"): He is re-evaluating Church of Christ
> positions on interpretations of I Cor 14:26-40 and I Tim 2:11-15.
>
> I COR 14:26-40.
> The verb SIGAO, in the NIV, is translated "keep quiet" (v. 28) and
>"should stop
> [speaking]" (v. 30). Finally, "should remain silent" (re: women, v. 34).
>What
> we are wondering is if what the text is saying in v. 34 is that women should
> cease speaking when there is an interpretation or prophecy or speaking in
> tongues. That is, while the women may not have been the ones prophesying in
> the public assembly in NT (Philip's daughters, I guess, would have prophecied
> out of the public assembly), this does not mean they were not forbidden to
> speak--just not when men were prophesying, speaking in tongues, etc.
>(Hmm...if
> one does not believe in the continuance of those gifts today, does this verse
> still apply?)
>
> I TIM 2:11-15
> Here the text says "A woman in quietness let her learn (in quietness: EN
> HSUCHIA, v. 11, v. 12). Might this refer to women not teaching the specific
> body of doctrine reserved for pastorals? I guess key to passage: what does
> AUTHENTEIN mean? John Baldwin, Illinois State University jrbaldw@ilstu.edu

I can see the flood approaching as surely as the crest on the Mississippi
coming to the Arch in St. Louis after spring rains. Would it not perhaps be
best (maybe I could do it later today) to assemble the rfcs to earlier
discussions of these issues on B-Greek and send them on? It occurs to me
that it might even be worth putting together a FAQ on recurrent questions
of this sort and assemble both the references to the archives and some of
the more significant replies (in separate FAQ's?).

What I earnestly hope is that those who respond to these questions on
B-Greek may confine themselves as closely as possible to meanings of the
Greek text and eschew treatises on the theology of women's issues: it is a
volatile issue that has seen the list in times past seem a veritable
Gehenna of fire! hHSUXIA (not SIGH) should be the watchword, methinks.

(314) 935-4018