Interest in Hyperliteral Page ?

From: Wagers, Will (wagers@iglobal.net)
Date: Sun Jun 23 1996 - 07:25:28 EDT

Dear Bs,

I am considering setting up a web page -- I would set up a mailing list if I
had a host -- for experimenting with hyperliteral translations, i.e.
translations
into pseudo-English, a-grammatical English, for the purpose of achieving
a more faithful or insightful translation. The larger purpose is to develop
a set of rules and-or guidelines for creating and interpreting hyperliteral
translations. I am also interested in any educational possibilities.

I would like to know how many people would be interested in such material
and, particularly, how many would be willing and able to participate in
either discussions or in making experimental translations. If you are
interested, please send me *offlist* a very brief summary of your linguistic
qualifications and-or background as it relates to this project. Please specify
the degree of participation you desire.

An integral part of the experiment is to provide hypertext versions of
experimental passages giving all the translation options for a particular
word or phrase. For many of us, it might be a fun thing to do to our
favorite problem cases, although the real significance, I feel, would
apply equally to uncontroversial passages.

This effort has *nothing* to do with any sort of religious sectarianism, esp.
"literal" biblical movements, nor with any particular theory of linguistics
for that matter. In fact, probably, the less intellectual baggage one has,
the more promising the experiment.

I look forward to hearing from you (offlist).

Regards,

Will Wagers

PS This message is crossposted: Apologies if you receive a duplicate.