Acts 2:15-16

From: Leo Percer (PERCERL@baylor.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 24 1996 - 14:04:21 EDT

Hello all:

I'm looking for some help here on the proper translation of this section
(v. 15 in particular). Does Peter say, "For these are not drunk, as you
suppose, for it is but the third hour," or does he say, "For these are
drunk, but not as you suppose . . ." In other words, is Peter defending
against charges of actual drunkenness (i.e., intoxication caused by too
much wine), or is he contrasting the Pentecost experience with actual
drunkenness (i.e., the folks were drunk on the Spirit)? I realize this
request may require some interpretation, so if you think it off topic for
the list, please respond to my privately! Thanks!

Regards,

Leo Percer
PERCERL@BAYLOR.EDU