Synonyms in John 21

From: Carlton L. Winbery (winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net)
Date: Tue Jun 18 1996 - 12:43:28 EDT

Randy Leedy wrote;
<long omission>
> I would appreciate whatever responses anyone cares to give. If a
>thread on this topic has already been worked in this direction, it
>was before my time, and I apologize for raising it again
>unnecessarily. I will be away from the office a good bit this week,
>and my time is limited enough that I don't know to what extent I will
>be able to respond to responses. Still, here's a worm for any hungry
>fish out there. Can you eat it off the hook without getting snagged?<

Randy this is a very interesting post and I must admit that I've never seen
this passage interpreted exactly the way you did. Of course a number of
commentators have sought to maintain a difference in meaning between the
two words for love.

Have you ever translated the verses listed below from John with the word FILEW?
It seems difficult to maintain the difference in meaning of FILEW and
AGAPAW in these verses from John.

Also the problem of chapter 21 being written by the same person or at the
same time as the earlier verses introduces other difficulties.

Also, though some of late have disputed this, I still have trouble thinking
that Jesus was speaking Greek with his disciples all Galilean Jews. The
Aramaic that I have studied so far does not provide me a way to express
this distinction in Aramaic.

John 5:20 hO GAR PATHR FILEI TON hUION KAI PANTA DEIKNUSIN AUTWi hA AUTOS
POIEI. "The Father loved the Son"

John 11:3KURIE, IDE hON FILEIS ASQENEI. "He whom you love"

John 11:36 ELEGON OUN hOI IOUDAIOI, IDE PWS EFILEI AUTON. "How much he
loved him"

John 12:25 hO FILWN THN YUCHN AUTOU APOLLUNEI AUTHN, "He who loves his life"

John 15:19 EI EK TOU KOSMOU HTE, hO KOSMOS AN TO IDION EFILEI: "the
world would love its own"

John 16:27 AUTOS GAR hO PATHR FILEI hUMAS, hOTI hUMEIS EME PEFILHKATE.
"The Father loves you because you have loved me"

John 20:2 TRECEI OUN KAI ERCETAI PROS SIMWNA PETRON KAI PROS TON ALLON
MAQATHN hON EFILEI hO IHSOUS, "the other disciple whome Jesus loved"

Concerning the use of the article with ordinals. The only place I can
think of at home without my concordance where first, second, and third are
used is in I Cor. 12:28. No articles are used with any and yet they each
depict a different gift. I am not convinced that your distinction will
hold up.

Grace,

Calton L. Winbery
Prof. Religion